Year 1 - 1D 2021 - 2022
Class Teacher: Mrs Dixon
Teaching Assistants: Mrs Anderson and Ms Magee
Here is our fantastic KS1 Christmas video for you to enjoy!
Merry Christmas everyone! Have a lovely Christmas break.
Year 1 Welcome video
Click on the picture below
We are delighted to have your child in our class and look forward to being part of their learning journey. See below some useful informaton regarding our class. Throughout the year, please be sure to visit our class page regularly as it will contain updates regarding our class activities, including photographs for you to see for yourself how our curriculum stimulates and engages and your child.
Latest Class News
Any class news will be shared here - updates coming shortly.
Woodland Learning is on Wednesday - don't forget your wellies & waterproofs
PE is on Monday (outdoor) and Thursday (indoor)
Spelling Test will take place on ....TBC
Reading books can be swapped as soon as the children have 3 signatures in their book to show they have read on 3 separate occasions.
· English – Major Glad, Major Dizzy and Rapunzel (in the home learning section below there is a link to the book that is currently being read)
· Maths – Maths No Problem - Numbers to 10
Science – Materials
· History – Explorers - Christopher Columbus / Neil Armstrong
· Geography – Our Local Area
· P.E – Fundamentals and Team Building
RE – Harvest
· Music – Old Skool Hip Hop
· PSHE – Relationships and Health and Wellbeing
Computing – What is technology?
D.T – Mechanisms - Sliders and Levers
Art – Ourselves - Portraits - Andy Warhol
We are very proud of our ‘Woodland Learning’ offering, where your child will be experiencing a range of new skills in our forest every week. We want you to make the most of every session whatever the weather, so you will need to be appropriately dressed. Please make sure you PE/Woodland uniform on your ‘Woodland Learning Day’.
See below timetable for your child’s Woodland Learning day.
Your child will also need to bring in waterproof clothes in a waterproof, draw-string bag and wellington boots. As the weather becomes colder they may also want to bring an extra jumper/fleece, an extra pair of warm socks, waterproof gloves and a warm hat.
Please ensure your child does not attend school wearing their wellies and has arrives in alternative footwear as this ensures the spread of mud around school it kept to a minimum.
It is essential that you wear appropriate clothing for P.E. We have two sessions per week, one indoors and the other outdoors. Children should attend school in their PE/Woodland uniform on PE days. Black pumps or trainers must be worn for both sessions.
See below timetable for your child’s PE days.
Please visit our class page regularly to see what we have been learning at school.
Updates will be notified to you via our School Spider app . Via the app you will be notified not only of class page and gallery updates, but also school communications.
The first time you log in to the app, you will be required to click "forgotten password" link. This will allow you to set a password and access the app. Please note some devices automatically include a capital at the beginning of entry fields, so please ensure the wappropriate lower or upper case option is set for any characters you are entering.
If you have any problems accessing the app, please contact the School Office who will be happy to help.
It is expected that your child is reading a minimum of 3x per week. However, you are encouraged to read every day.
In addition, children should aim to log on to our home learning games which incorporate maths and spellings via Timetable Rockstars, Numbots and Spelling Shed. These educational game platforms are a great way for your child to practise at home whilst having fun.
Spellings will be set on a Friday by your child's Read, Write Inc teacher and will cover the phonemes or key words taught that week.
Below is a link to the current book that your child is reading in school as part of their Read to Write English lesson. This half term we have been reading a book called Major Glad and Major Dizzy which is all about some lost toys.
See below timetable for home learning activities
Code of Conduct
We will be looking at our 3 character traits: Respect, Responsibility, and Resilience. Any children following our code of conduct will be presented with ‘Dojo points’ which will enable them to receive a reward. Any children breaking any part of the code of conduct will be given a warning, which may be followed by a sanction.
At TPS we have a code of conduct that all children are expected to follow. We need your support to implement this. Please also see our Promoting Good Behaviour Policy.
We believe that it’s important that you look smart in your TPS uniform and represent our school with pride. We ask you to start the new academic year by ensuring that you wear full TPS uniform. Please note the following:
- Children are allowed to wear small plain silver/gold studs earrings;
- No trainers (including black trainers);
- No extreme haircuts (including; undercuts, number 1 cuts, excessive hair products/gel);
- Long hair to be tied back (including boys);
- Black/brown/blonde elastic bobbles. If wearing a headband it must be burgundy and no large ribbons or bows;
- No oversized (Jo-Jo style) bows;
- No false nails and/or nail varnish
- No jewellery is permitted save for small stud earrings and a watch.
These requirements are set out in our school policy and we expect all pupils to adhere to them. We appreciate your efforts in maintaining our high standards of appearance.
School Dinners & Snacks
All children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 are provided with a school lunch, as this is funded by the Governments Universal Free School Meals Scheme. Children in these year groups are not required to bring a packed lunch as both hot and cold options are available daily for children to chose from.
Children in Years 3, 4, 5 and 6 may purchase a school dinner at a cost of £2.00 per day/£10.00 per week, which should be paid for in advance via SCOPAY. Alternatively, children in these years may bring a packed lunch to school if they wish.
Please see lunch menus for further information.
All children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 will receive a daily healthy fruit snack for them to consume during morning break. All children in remaining years (Years 3, 4, 5 & 6) are requested to bring a fruit snack to school for their morning break.
Any named items will be returned to your child’s class. Please ensure all items of uniform are clearly marked with your child’s name (not just initials). All lost property is collected by each year group and is available for checking at each home time for parents/carers to claim any lost items. If you cannot attend at this time, please speak to your child’s teacher. Alternatively another parent/carer may claim lost uniform on your behalf.
Punctuality & Attendance
We are keen to ensure that every pupil attends well and at least achieves our school target of 100%.
- School gates open at 8.30 am and class doors open at 8.45 and close at 8.55 am
- Registers are taken at 8.55 am – children must be in class at this time
- Please arrive on time to prevent the need to sign in late at reception
- Holidays are not permitted during term time. Parents who remove their children from school during term time will be fined.
- Incentive awards will be given for good attendance
- School finishes at 3.15 pm
Corona Virus Procedure
If you child has any symptoms linked to the Corona Virus, please ensure your child and any siblings do not attend school until a test PCR Test has been completed and a negative result confirmed.
If your child is required to isolate please advise the school office so home learning can be arranged. Full information and guiance can be found on our website - Corona Virus updates & info & Covid & Remote Learning
Absences for Sickness & Medical Appointments
Any absences must be reported to the School Office or absence line prior to 9.00 am.
- School Absence line is 0151 652 8498 (option 1)
- Appointments should always made outside of school hours wherever possible. However, if this is not possible, please advise the school office of any appointments
- Appointments can be notified to the school office by email (TPSabsences@remat.org.uk)
- Please ensure a copy of your child’s appointment card/letter is also provided to school to ensure any medical appointment absences are duly authorised.
- Patterns in absence for sickness and appointments are monitored (e.g. repeated Friday afternoon appointments with no appointment confirmation provided) to ensure children attend school unless there is a legitimate reason
How to Help at Home?
If you have any queries or concerns about your child or school, please do not hesitate to discuss these with your child’s class teachers in the first instance.
Where to find more information?
Our website contains masses of information, not only about Townfield Primary School but also our exciting curriculum and enrichment activities. Furthermore, you can find details of our staff (including how to contact our SENDCo directly), school policies, Governing Board, useful parent information (School Dog, term dates, lunches, communication, making payments, etc) and the additional services we offer to support our wider school community (nursery and wrap around care). Our website is extremely user-friendly, however to help you identify the range of information available please see our website summary guide.