Year 2 2H 2020 - 2021
Welcome to 2H
This year, your teacher is Mr Hughes. Mrs Sadler is his teaching assistant, who helps create the magic. It is easy to spot the children of 2H: we are very hard-working and well-behaved; we love to learn and discover new things.
This Term's Curriculum
- English – Grandad's Island.
- Maths – We’ll be launching an exciting new scheme called ‘Maths, No Problem’.
- Science – Animals; living things and their habitats.
- History – The Great Fire of London.
- Geography – Weather patterns across the World
- Computing – Online Safety
- P.E – Gymnastics and Invasion Games
- R.E. – Festivals (Diwali, Christmas)
- Music – South African; Christmas songs
- PSHE – How can we be a good friend? What keeps us safe?
We are very excited to be introducing ‘Woodland Learning’, where children will be learning a range of new skills in our forest every week. Our session is on a Friday afternoon and we would like the children to make the most of every session whatever the weather, so they will need to be appropriately dressed. Please make sure your child wears a tracksuit on your ‘Woodland Learning Day’. They will also need to bring in waterproof clothes in a waterproof, draw-string bag and wellington boots. As the weather becomes colder, they may also want to bring an extra jumper/fleece, an extra pair of warm socks, waterproof gloves and a warm hat.
P.E is Monday (outdoor) and Thursday (indoor). Children MUST come to school dressed in their P.E kit. It is essential that your child wears appropriate clothing for P.E. It is advised that you wear maroon jogging bottoms and a school jumper for the outside session. For the indoor session, you must wear black shorts and burgundy t-shirt. Black pumps or trainers must be worn for both sessions. Girls may also need to have a pair of socks to put on if they wear tights for school.
How to help at home
Homework will be given to support your child's learning. We value your support in helping these children to catch up the learning that they have missed.
- As the children start preparing for the phonics test, we will start sending words home for you to learn with them. These go out on a Monday and will be tested on the following Monday.
- Reading books will be collected in on Mondays and go out on a Thursday. For the time being, to allow quarantining of books, books will not be changed daily. Please read every night with your child, supplementing school reading scheme books with your own.
- Practise 2,5 and 10 times tables in the first instance and then move on to 3 and 4 times tables.
- Challenge your child to complete activities on Times Tables Rock Stars on a device at home as often as possible.
- Practise spelling Year 2 common exception words as regularly as possible (see link in files). These are the words that all Year 2 children MUST be able to spell by the end of the academic year. We have also uploaded the Year 1 common exception words as these may need to be revised.
- Learn the subject words that are sent home at the beginning of each block.
Code of Conduct
We will be looking at three character traits: Respect, Responsibility and Resilience. Any children following our code of conduct will be presented with ‘Dojo points’, which will enable them to receive a reward. Any children breaking any part of the code of conduct will be given a warning, which may be followed by a sanction. At TPS we have a code of conduct that all children are expected to follow. We need your support to implement this.
Files to Download
Year 2 2H: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Year 2 2H: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display