Year 2 2H 2020 - 2021
Welcome to 2H
This year, your teacher is Mr Hughes. Miss Griffiths is his teaching assistant, who helps create the magic. It is easy to spot the children of 2H: we are very hard-working and well-behaved; we love to learn and discover new things.
We are now no longer using Purple Mash as our learning platform; instead, we are using Seesaw to provide you with daily learning tasks. A letter containing information regarding this has been sent to you already. Your child has been provided with a pack, which includes instructions about how to access Seesaw, and also contains exercise books and pencils.
The famous Mr P (of 'ICT with Mr P') has also kindly uploaded a video to show parents how to use Seesaw. Click the link below to access this video (you must have Facebook to view).
From Monday 01 February 2021, we will stop using Purple Mash altogether. Spelling tasks thereafter will be posted on Seesaw. Importantly, for reading, we will be using a new online scheme called Bug Club on Active Learning by Pearson. You should all now have the login details.
In addition to this work, we would like you to continue using TTRS to practise multiplication facts.
Should you wish to get in touch with us, please continue to use firstname.lastname@example.org.
This Term's Curriculum
- English – The Night Gardener (setting story; diary) and Bog Baby (a 'finding' story)
- Maths – We will be continuing with our new scheme, 'Maths, No Problem’.
- Science – Materials
- History – Fighting Fit: the story of Florence Nightingale
- Geography – Penguins in Antarctica
- Computing – 'Code a Story'; 'Storyland'
- P.E – Fitness, Dance, Target Games, Sending and Receiving (and Cricket)
- R.E. – Special places; Easter
- Music – I Wanna Play in a Band; Zoo Time
- PSHE – What is bullying? What helps us to stay safe?
We are very excited to be introducing ‘Woodland Learning’, where children will be learning a range of new skills in our forest every week. Our session is on a Wednesday afternoon and we would like the children to make the most of every session whatever the weather, so they will need to be appropriately dressed. Please make sure your child wears a tracksuit on your ‘Woodland Learning Day’. They will also need to bring in waterproof clothes in a waterproof, draw-string bag and wellington boots. As the weather becomes colder, they may also want to bring an extra jumper/fleece, an extra pair of warm socks, waterproof gloves and a warm hat.
P.E is Monday (outdoor) and Thursday (indoor). Children MUST come to school dressed in their P.E kit. It is essential that your child wears appropriate clothing for P.E. It is advised that you wear maroon jogging bottoms and a school jumper for the outside session. For the indoor session, you must wear black shorts and burgundy t-shirt. Black pumps or trainers must be worn for both sessions. Girls may also need to have a pair of socks to put on if they wear tights for school.
How to help at home
Homework will be given to support your child's learning. We value your support in helping these children to catch up the learning that they have missed.
- As the children start preparing for the phonics test, we will start sending words home for you to learn with them. These go out on a Monday and will be tested on the following Monday.
- Reading books will be collected in on Mondays and go out on a Thursday. For the time being, to allow quarantining of books, books will not be changed daily. Please read every night with your child, supplementing school reading scheme books with your own.
- Practise 2,5 and 10 times tables in the first instance and then move on to 3 and 4 times tables.
- Challenge your child to complete activities on Times Tables Rock Stars on a device at home as often as possible.
- Practise spelling Year 2 common exception words as regularly as possible (see link in files). These are the words that all Year 2 children MUST be able to spell by the end of the academic year. We have also uploaded the Year 1 common exception words as these may need to be revised.
- Learn the subject words that are sent home at the beginning of each block.
This is a shortcut to the Purple Mash website, where our online learning is published:
Here are some websites you may find useful to support your child's learning in school:
Code of Conduct
We will be looking at three character traits: Respect, Responsibility and Resilience. Any children following our code of conduct will be presented with ‘Dojo points’, which will enable them to receive a reward. Any children breaking any part of the code of conduct will be given a warning, which may be followed by a sanction. At TPS we have a code of conduct that all children are expected to follow. We need your support to implement this.
Files to Download
Year 2 2H: News items
Year 2 2H: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Year 2 2H: Gallery items
Year 2 2H: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display