Year 2 2S 2020 - 2021
Welcome to 2S
Class Teacher: Mrs R Simmons
Teaching Assistants: Mrs J Sadler (Mon-Thurs shared with 2H)
Miss K Whitty (Thurs & Fri am)
**Please do not send your child into school already in their wellies as this means there is mud all over the classroom at the start of the day. If you send their wellies in in a seperate bag, the children will change into them just before they go to the forest. Thank you.
** Due to schools being shut in June during the covid-19 outbreak, children currently in Year 2 did not sit the Year 1 Phonics Screening Test. The Government has decided that this test should go ahead for all Year 2 pupils and should be sat in the second half of the Autumn term. If children do not pass the test at this time, they will be required to sit the Year 1 Phonics Screening Test in June 2021. To this end, we are working hard to try and ensure the children are caught up with phonics lessons that they missed between March and July 2020 before they sit the test in early December. We would be very grateful if you could download the phonics sound mats and tricky words (see file manager below) and take the time to go through these with your child as often as possible. Many thanks **
- Our ‘Woodland Learning’ session is on a Monday morning and we would like the children to make the most of every session whatever the weather, so they will need to be appropriately dressed. Please make sure your child wears a tracksuit to school EVERY Monday. They will also need to bring in waterproof clothes in a waterproof, draw-string bag and wellington boots. PLEASE DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD INTO SCHOOL IN WELLINGTON BOOTS AS THIS GETS THE CLASSROOM AREA VERY DIRTY AT THE BEGINNING OF THE DAY. Children can change into their wellies before they go to the forest. As the weather becomes colder, they may also want to bring an extra jumper/fleece, an extra pair of warm socks, waterproof gloves and a warm hat.
- P.E is Tuesday (outdoor) and Friday (indoor). Children MUST come to school dressed in their P.E kit. It is essential that your child wears appropriate clothing for P.E. It is advised that you wear maroon jogging bottoms and a school jumper for the outside session. For the indoor session, you must wear black shorts and burgundy t-shirt. Black pumps or trainers must be worn for both sessions. Girls may also need to have a pair of socks to put on if they wear tights for school.
- Due to schools being shut in June during the covid-19 outbreak, children currently in Year 2 did not sit the Year 1 Phonics screening Test. The Government has decided that this test should go ahead for all Year 2 pupils and should be sat in the second half of the Autumn term. If children do not pass the test at this time, they will be required to sit the Year 1 Phonics Screening Test in June 2021. To this end, we are working hard to try and ensure the children are caught up with phonics lessons they missed between March and July 2020 before the test in early December. We would be very grateful if you could download the phonics sound mats and tricky words (see file manager below) and take the time to go through these with your child as often as possible. Many thanks.
- Homework will be given out on a needs basis. If we believe it is necessary for you child to complete extra learning at home, it will go out on a Thursday and will due in on a Monday.
- Reading books will be collected in on Mondays and go out on a Thursday. For the time being, to allow quarantining of books, books will not be changed daily. Please read every night with your child. We have a '2S Reading Champions' board that is filled in on a weekly basis according to how many times a child has read at home. After a certain number of home reading sessions, children will be prresented with bronze, silver, gold and platinum reading certificates. At the end of the academic year, the child who has read the most will also get their own engraved trophy to keep aswell as a prize.
How to help at home:
- Practise 2,5 and 10 times tables in the first instance and then move on to 3 and 4 times tables.
- Challenge your child to complete activities on Times Tables Rock Stars on a device at home as often as possible.
- Practise spelling Year 1 and Year 2 common exception words as regularly as possible (see link in files). These are the words that all Year 2 children MUST be able to spell by the end of the academic year. We have also uploaded the Year 1 common exception words as these may need to be revised.
- Read with your child every night when possible or at least 3 times every week. The more you to read with your child, the better, especially as they have missed a lot of school. Daily readers will be rewarded for their commitment.
Code of Conduct:
We will be looking at three character traits: Respect, Responsibility and Resilience. Any children following our code of conduct will be presented with ‘Dojo points’ which will enable them to receive a reward. Any children breaking any part of the code of conduct will be given a warning, which may be followed by a sanction. At TPS we have a code of conduct that all children are expected to follow. We need your support to implement this.
Curriculum (Autumn term):
- English –Autumn 1 - Grandad's Island (we will be writing a return narrative and a non-chronological report on a rainforest animal). Autumn 2 - Jack and the Baked Bean Stalk (we will be writing persuasive letters and a twisted version of a traditional tale).
- Maths – ‘Maths, No Problem’(see link in file manager for Year 2 Scheme of Work): Numbers to 100 (place value), addition and subtraction, multiplication and division of 2, 5 and 10, length and mass.
- Science – Animals including humans; Living things and their habitats.
- History – The Great Fire of London.
- Geography – Why does it matter where our food comes from?
- Computing – Online Safety
- P.E – Gymnastics and Invasion Games
- R.E. – Festivals (Diwali, Christmas)
- Music – South African songs and Christmas songs
- PSHE – Relationships: How can we be a good friend? What keeps us safe?
Files to Download
Year 2 2S: News items
Year 2 2S: Blog items
There are no blog items to display