Year 5 5A 2020 - 2021
We're looking forward to a wonderful year of learning and growing together!
Our Class Teacher is Mrs Ali
Our Teacher Assistants are Mrs Lee & Mrs Cavanaugh (1:1)
We will be looking at 3 character traits: Respect, Responsibility, and Resilience. Any children following our code of conduct will be presented with ‘Dojo points’ which will enable them to receive a reward. Any children breaking any part of the code of conduct will be given a warning, which may be followed by a sanction. At TPS we have a code of conduct that all children are expected to follow. We need your support to implement this.
We are keen to ensure that every pupil attends well and at least achieves our school target of 97%:
- Children should be in school on time by 8.45
- Registers are taken at 8:55am.
- Holidays are not permitted during term time unless in exceptional circumstances. Parents who remove their children from school during term time will be fined.
- We will give incentives for good attendance.
We believe that it’s important that you look smart in your TPS uniform and represent our school with pride. We ask you to start the new academic year by ensuring that you wear full TPS uniform. Please note the following:
· You are allowed to wear studs.
No trainers (including black trainers)
· No extreme haircuts (including undercuts, number 1 cuts, hair gel)
· Long hair to be tied back (including boys)
· Black/brown/blonde elastic bobbles. If wearing a headband it must be burgundy and no ribbons or bows.
· No Jo-Jo bows
· No false nails or nail varnish
· No additional jewellery to earrings and a watch.
Our Curriculum this term (Autumn 2):
- English – We will be studying ‘Sherlock Holmes - The Hound of the Baskervilles’ through a graphic novel and reading parts of the original text.
- Science - ‘Forces’
- Maths – Through the new scheme ;Maths, No Problem' we will learn about Multiplication and Division. In addition, lessons will focus on more Yea5 5 essentials maths skills: Square numbers, Cube numbers, Prime numbers, Factors/Common Factors and multiplying a number by 10, 100 and 1000.
- History – The Victorian era.
- Geography – Physical geography (volcanoes, earthquakes and vegetation belts)
- Computing – My Online Life (digital literacy)
- P.E – Yoga and Tag Rugby
- Music – Jazz
- French – Greetings and beginner's French.
- PSHE – SRE
We are very excited to be introducing ‘Woodland Learning’, where you will be learning a range of new skills in our forest every week. We want you to make the most of every session whatever the weather, so you will need to be appropriately dressed. Please make sure you wear a tracksuit on your ‘Woodland Learning Day’:
Monday – Mrs Ali (5A)
You will also need to bring in waterproof clothes in a waterproof, draw-string bag and wellington boots. As the weather becomes colder you may also want to bring an extra jumper/fleece, an extra pair of warm socks, waterproof gloves and a warm hat.
Our indoor PE session is Wednesday.
Our outdoor PE session is Thursday.
Please make sure P.E kits stay in school all week. Tracksuits (please see school newsletter for more information) will be needed as the weather starts to get a bit colder!
How to help at home
A home-learning task is given out on a Monday and should be returned completed on the following Friday.
Children will receive either a piece of handwriting or SPAG activity. Children will have a weekly Times Tables Rock Stars or a Purple Mash game to also complete too.
Every child has a unique username and password for Times Table Rock Stars (TTRS). Your child can practise their speed and accuracy in a fun and engaging way. The app can be downloaded onto home devices for access at home.
Please also try to read every night! Reading records will need a minimum of 3 reads recorded in the reading record. Children who show enthusiastic reading and achieve 5 times in a week, will be entered into the ‘Strive for Five’ draw.
In Year 5, we practise the Year 5/6 Common Exception Words.Spellings can be practised every night using the look, say, cover, write, check method. Spelling tests are every Wednesday and test the weekly spellings as presented in the spelling list.
Files to Download
Year 5 5A: News items
Year 5 5A: Blog items
There are no blog items to display