Year 5 5R 2020 - 2021
Welcome to 5R's Class Page
Here you can find out what we've been up to and what exciting things are planned for the term ahead. We hope you enjoy looking at our fabulous learning. Please visit again soon to follow our learning journey through the year.
Our Class Teacher is Mrs Risk.
Our Teacher Assistants are Mrs Lee and Miss White.
We're looking forward to a wonderful year of learning and growing together!
Message from Mrs Risk. We appreciate that the last six months have been strange and at times possibly challenging. We understand that you may have concerns and feel anxious about returning to school, however, we want to reassure you that we will be with you every step of the way. We are looking forward to welcoming you into Year 5 and, whilst it will be a different normal, we will do our best to make sure you are safe in our care and that your learning is fun and fulfilling. We look forward to welcoming you back on Monday 7th September at 8.45am.
Code of Conduct
We will be looking at 3 character traits: Respect, Responsibility, and Resilience. Any children following our code of conduct will be presented with ‘Dojo points’ which will enable them to receive a reward. Any children breaking any part of the code of conduct will be given a warning, which may be followed by a sanction. At TPS we have a code of conduct that all children are expected to follow. We need your support to implement this.
Punctuality & Attendance
We are keen to ensure that every pupil attends well and at least achieves our school target of 97%:
- Children should be in school on time by 8.45am.
- Registers are taken at 8:55am.
- Holidays are not permitted during term time unless in exceptional circumstances. Parents who remove their children from school during term time will be fined.
- We will give incentives for good attendance.
We believe that it’s important that you look smart in your TPS uniform and represent our school with pride. We ask you to start the new academic year by ensuring that you wear full TPS uniform. Please note the following:
· You are allowed to wear studs.
No trainers (including black trainers)
· No extreme haircuts (including undercuts, number 1 cuts, hair gel)
· Long hair to be tied back (including boys)
· Black/brown/blonde elastic bobbles. If wearing a headband it must be burgundy and no ribbons or bows.
· No Jo-Jo bows
· No false nails or nail varnish
· No additional jewellery to earrings and a watch.
Our indoor PE session is Thursday.
Our outdoor PE session is Wednesday.
Please make sure P.E kits stay in school all week. Tracksuits (please see school newsletter for more information) will be needed as the weather starts to get a bit colder!
We are very excited to be introducing ‘Woodland Learning’, where you will be learning a range of new skills in our forest every week. We want you to make the most of every session whatever the weather, so you will need to be appropriately dressed. Please make sure you wear a tracksuit on your ‘Woodland Learning Day’:
Wednesday – Mrs Risk (5R)
You will also need to bring in waterproof clothes in a waterproof, draw-string bag and wellington boots. As the weather becomes colder you may also want to bring an extra jumper/fleece, an extra pair of warm socks, waterproof gloves and a warm hat.
A home-learning task is given out on a Monday and should be returned completed on the following Friday.
Children will receive either a piece of handwriting or SPAG activity. Children will have a weekly Times Tables Rock Stars or a Purple Mash game to also complete too.
Times Tables Rock Stars
Every child has a unique username and password for Times Table Rock Stars (TTRS). Your child can practise their speed and accuracy in a fun and engaging way. The app can be downloaded onto home devices for access at home.
Please also try to read every night! Due to the current situation Reading books will be given out on a Thursday and collected in on Monday.
In Year 5, we practise the Year 5/6 Common Exception Words.Spellings can be practised every night using the look, say, cover, write, check method. Spelling tests will take the form of a dictation and are every Wednesday based on the spellings set each week. We will also be catching up on Year 3/4 Common Exception words during our Handwriting session each week.
Autumn Term Curriculum
- English – ‘Where Once We Stood’, which links to our Science topic on ‘Earth and Space’.
- Maths – We’ll be launching an exciting new scheme called ‘Maths, No Problem’.
- History – The Victorian era.
- Geography – Physical geography (volcanoes, earthquakes and vegetation belts).
- Computing – Coding.
- PE – Gymnastics and Invasion Games (Tag Rugby and Hockey).
- Music – Rock & Jazz.
- French – Greetings and beginner's French.
- PSHE – Relationships - How can friends communicate safely?
Files to Download
Year 5 5R: News items
There are no News items to display
Year 5 5R: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Year 5 5R: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
Year 5 5R: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display