Year 5 5R 2020 - 2021
Welcome to 5R's Class Page
Welcome to 5R's class page, here you can find out what we've been up to and what exciting things are planned for the term ahead. We hope you enjoy looking at our fabulous learning. We're looking forward to an exciting term ahead and as always our aim is to work hard, be kind to each other and achieve our goals.
Our Class Teacher is Mrs Risk.
Our Teacher Assistants are Mrs Lee and Miss White.
A child is like a butterfly in the wind.
Some can fly higher than others, but each one flies the best it can.
Why compare one against the other?
Each one is different.
Each one is special.
Each one is beautiful.
Code of Conduct
We will be looking at 3 character traits: Respect, Responsibility, and Resilience. Any children following our code of conduct will be presented with ‘Dojo points’ which will enable them to receive a reward. Any children breaking any part of the code of conduct will be given a warning, which may be followed by a sanction. At TPS we have a code of conduct that all children are expected to follow. We need your support to implement this.
Punctuality & Attendance
We are keen to ensure that every pupil attends well and at least achieves our school target of 97%:
- Children should be in school on time by 8.45am.
- Registers are taken at 8:55am.
- Holidays are not permitted during term time unless in exceptional circumstances. Parents who remove their children from school during term time will be fined.
- We will give incentives for good attendance.
We believe that it’s important that you look smart in your TPS uniform and represent our school with pride. We ask you to start the new academic year by ensuring that you wear full TPS uniform. During the summer term, girls may wish to wear the yellow and white summer dress and boys may wear shorts, Please note the following:
· You are allowed to wear studs.
No trainers (including black trainers)
· No extreme haircuts (including undercuts, number 1 cuts, hair gel)
· Long hair to be tied back (including boys)
· Black/brown/blonde elastic bobbles. If wearing a headband it must be burgundy and no large/oversized ribbons or bows.
· No false nails or nail varnish
· No additional jewellery to earrings and a watch.
Our indoor PE session is Thursday.
Our outdoor PE session is Wednesday.
Please make sure P.E kits stay in school all week. Tracksuits can be worn if the weather is cold, however must be school regulation black or burgundy.
We are very excited to be introducing ‘Woodland Learning’, where you will be learning a range of new skills in our forest every week. We want you to make the most of every session whatever the weather, so you will need to be appropriately dressed. Please make sure you wear a tracksuit on your ‘Woodland Learning Day’:
Tuesday – Mrs Risk (5R)
You will also need to bring in waterproof clothes in a waterproof, draw-string bag and wellington boots. As the weather becomes colder you may also want to bring an extra jumper/fleece, an extra pair of warm socks, waterproof gloves and a warm hat.
How to help at home:
Children will receive Magic Maths and Spellings each week and an additional piece of on-line learning to help support their catch up following Covid.
Times Tables Rock Stars and Numbots
Every child has a unique username and password for Times Table Rock Stars (TTRS), the same login details can be used for Numbots. Your child can practise their speed and accuracy in a fun and engaging way. The apps can be downloaded onto home devices for access at home.
Please also try to read every night! Due to the current situation Reading books will be given out on a Thursday and collected in on Monday. You also have access to Active Learn - The Bug Club for online books to read.
In Year 5, we practise the Year 5/6 Common Exception Words. Spellings can be practised every night using the look, say, cover, write, check method. Spelling tests will take the form of a dictation and are every Wednesday based on the spellings set each week.
Our curriculum this term:
Summer Term Curriculum
- English – We will be exploring: The Lost Book of Adventure, from Notebooks of an Unknown Adventurer. This is a beautiful book which details everything you need to know about how to live and thrive in nature, from the principles of treehouse building to wilderness first aid. We will be using it to help us write a survival guide and survival narrative.
- Maths – We will be learning about Geometry, this will include learning about different types of angles, measuring angles and lines, solving problems involving angles and investigating rectangles, squares and polygons.
- History – We will be looking at Ancient Greece and finding out about how people in that time lived and, how they influenced our way of living today.
- Geography – We will explore - Who are Britain's Parks for? We will understand and appreciate the value of them as a breathing space in today's world.
- Computing – We will be investigating Augmented Reality.
- PE – We will be learning to play Tennis and explore Athletics.
- Music – We will research the history behind Motown and in particular: Dancing in the Street by Martha and The Vandellas.
- French – We will continue to learn about Animals and beginner's French continued.
- PSHE – We will be covering all aspects of First Aid.
- Science - We will be finding out more about: Animals including Humans. This will cover The Human Timeline, Puberty, Growth of Babies and Growing Old.
- RE - We will be discussing what Precious means to each of us.
Files to Download
Year 5 5R: Gallery items
Year 5 5R: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display