Year 6 6MG 2020 - 2021
Mrs Mathieson and Mrs Gee
Welcome to 6MG!
Our class teachers are Mrs Gee who is in on Mondays and Tuesdays, and Mrs Mathieson who will be in from Wednesday to Friday. We also have Mrs Guy supporting learning in both year 6 classes and covering teacher’s PPA time. Mrs Whitty will support on a Thursday and Friday.
- Indoor PE takes place on a Monday afternoon. Please ensure that kits are worn to school including black plimsolls, black shorts or tracksuit bottoms and the Townfield PE top.
- Outdoor PE is on a Wednesday morning and children will be dressed appropriately for Woodland Learning on the same day (see below)
We are very excited to be introducing ‘Woodland Learning’, where children will be learning a range of new skills in our forest every week. Our session is on a Wednesday afternoon and we would like the children to make the most of every session whatever the weather, so they will need to be appropriately dressed. Please make sure your child wears a tracksuit on your ‘Woodland Learning Day’: They will also need to bring in waterproof clothes in a waterproof, draw-string bag and wellington boots. As the weather becomes colder, they may also want to bring an extra jumper/fleece, an extra pair of warm socks, waterproof gloves and a warm hat.
Year 6 is such an important milestone in your child's education. It is their first experience of externally marked statutory tests, as well as their final year in primary school. It is essential that they make every effort to be in school every day. Doors are opened at 8.45, children are registered at 8.55am, and formal lessons start at 9am. The school day ends at 3.30pm.
Walking to and from school
- Year 6 children are permitted to walk to and from home alone if written permission has been received or verbal consent via a phone call to the office.
- Mobile phones are NOT permitted in school.
Code of Conduct
We will be looking at 3 character traits: Respect, Responsibility, and Resilience. Any children following our code of conduct will be presented with ‘Dojo points’ which will enable them to receive a reward. Any children breaking any part of the code of conduct will be given a warning, which may be followed by a sanction. At TPS we have a code of conduct that all children are expected to follow. We need your support to implement this.
How to help at home
A home-learning task is given out on a Monday and should be returned completed on the following Friday.
Children will receive either a piece of handwriting or SPAG activity. Children will have a weekly Times Tables Rock Stars or a Purple Mash game to also complete too.
Times Tables Rock Stars
Every child has a unique username and password for Times Table Rock Stars (TTRS). Your child can practise their speed and accuracy in a fun and engaging way. The app can be downloaded onto home devices for access at home.
Please also try to read every night! Reading records will need a minimum of 3 reads recorded in the reading record.
Due to advice surrounding Covid-19, books will only be given out on a Thursday. Once the book is completed, you will need to return it on a Monday, where it will be left for 72 hours before returning to the basket by Thursday.
Children will come home with a list of key vocabulary at the start of every new topic. The words will be looked at and taught through the topic and they will help children’s understanding.
You can support your child by: -
- Challenging them to use the word in a sentence.
- Supporting them if they are struggling to understand certain words.
- Ask them to think of other words or pictures that might help them to understand and remember the definition.
- You might like to discuss any homonyms- words which are spelt the same but can have a different meaning e.g. bark -a tree’s outer layer/ the sound a dog makes. Current- up to date/ a flow of water/ the flow of electrons through a circuit.
- Ask your child to say the word, clap the word, act the word, shout the word, and whisper the word.
- Give your child a definition from the list and see if they can work out the word.
There is a letter attached to our class page with more information about the importance of vocabulary.
Autumn Term Curriculum
- English – ‘Rose Blanche’, (diary and speech writing) which links to our History and art topics.
- Maths – We’ll be launching an exciting new scheme called ‘Maths, No Problem’.
- History – Battling Britain (World War 2)
- Geography – Rivers and the water cycle.
- Computing – Information sharing and staying safe online.
- P.E – Gymnastics and Invasion Games
- Music – Pop and Motown for our ‘Happy’ theme.
- French – Greetings and beginner's French.
- PSHE – Relationships
- RE- Judaism and Islam
- Art and design- World War 2 – Drawing and sculpture.
- DT- Textiles- combining different fabric shapes.
Files to Download
Year 6 6MG: News items
There are no News items to display
Year 6 6MG: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Year 6 6MG: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
Year 6 6MG: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display