Design and Technology
Design Technology Vision
At Townfield Primary School we follow the National Curriculum for our Design Technology lessons with the aim to
- Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world.
- Build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users.
- Critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others.
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
We will provide
- a design, make and evaluate approach to learning Design Technology, with a curriculum which is sequenced to enable pupils to build their knowledge and skills towards the agreed end points.
- a curriculum that is ambitious and designed to give all pupils, particularly disadvantaged pupils and pupils with SEND, the knowledge and cultural capital they need to succeed in life.
- lessons that are focussed on logical progression based on our milestones document which is systematic for all pupils to acquire the intended knowledge and skills during their time at Townfield Primary School.
- enhancements to further the children’s learning and experiences.
- opportunities for our children to be knowledgeable on how to evaluate existing products, use different tools, how to combine materials using different joining methods, how to combine ingredients to create an end product and how to evaluate and improve their own work.
- DT lessons which introduce the children to the best that has been thought and said within the field of design technology.
- demanding lessons which matches the aims of the curriculum
- opportunities for children to broaden their vocabulary through the teaching of technical terminology